Join the movement and make a difference
NOW ACCEPTING FALL 2019 FELLOWS
Americans for a Free Syria (AFS) is looking for talented students and young professionals interested in human rights, foreign policy, Middle East issues, political science, and U.S. government to apply for our Fall 2019 fellowship program.
Applications are due September 3. You may apply by sending a resume, cover letter, and writing sample on a topic of your choice to firstname.lastname@example.org.
AFS fellows get a front row seat for U.S. foreign policymaking. Our staff is eager to work with you to develop new ideas that will shape how Congress and the Administration view U.S. engagement in Syria and the Middle East. While you’re here, we will help hone your spoken and written communication skills, deepen your understanding of the U.S. legislative process, and build a network in Washington.
As a fellow, you will:
- Work alongside our Government Relations team in crafting briefing papers, talking points, and communications with Members of Congress, committees, and their staff.
- Own a research project that recommends specific policy goals that can be implemented by Congress or the Administration.
- Aid in raising the profile of AFS’ policy goals through outreach to TV and written media, where appropriate.
- Develop a deep understanding of how the executive and legislative branches interact to shape U.S. foreign policy.
- Build a network of policy contacts that will aid in your professional development during your time in D.C.
As a candidate, you are:
- A young professional or are pursuing a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in foreign policy, political science, or a related field.
- Able to write clearly and succinctly, with a strong command of the English language.
- Eager to collaborate with others in team-based advocacy and writing projects, but can also work independently on a writing project of your own.
- Communicative, organized, efficient, and able to manage your time effectively.
- Arabic, Russian, and/or Farsi language skills a plus.
- Graphic design or web-based skills appreciated.